Instead of picking our favorite covers after all the comics books come out we pick our favorites before. That lets us beat all the competing “best cover” articles but also gives you a handy guide as to what is coming out this week. A full release list caps off anything we didn’t pick for best cover, honorable mention and WTF cover of the week. Enjoy!
Comic Book Preview: 2/27/13 – Underbutt Bubble Vampires
25 Feb, 2013
Brendan: I love this cover because it seems both unique and familiar. I love the dusty dark colors that surround our sacrifice in progress, as well as the light hues that surround our hungry demon. Constantine’s “Oh here we go again” is pretty cheeky, too.
Dave: The lighting contrasts very nicely throughout this cover. From the green yellow smoke to the blood all the way to the dirty wind at the base. It all creates a sense of mystical horror.
Dave’s Cover of the Week
X-Men Legacy #6
Dave: What a cool cover idea. I love how the bubbles contain different languages, fonts and colors. It all adds up to total madness for Legion and a fun cover for us.
Brendan: I think this cover is absolutely brilliant. It perfectly visualizes the dramatic noise that must come with schizophrenia. I especially love how the word bubbles’ tendrils are beginning to wrap themselves around Legion’s extremities, solidifying their grasp.
Brendan’s Honorable Mentions
Brendan: As always, Ross brings his A game when to comes to character portraits. I also have to say that while the looming shadow motif is well-worn, it is perfectly executed here.
Dave: Wow, what a bold color choice. Not to mention the difficulty in drawing shadow with said color. To think a bunch of unknown dudes could look so cool.
Deadpool Killustrated #2
Brendan: More Del Mundo! Please! Seriously, everything this guy creates is fantastic. I love how he can go from pumping out thoughtful content, ala Dave’s pic of the week, while also crafting the humorous content displayed above. Also, I really genuinely hated reading this book in school and I am pumped to see that smarmy hillbilly get a rocket to the face.
Dave: Whoever came up with the idea of this cover wins a prize! Not sure there could have been a better idea thrust on Tom Sawyer (it could have involved painting a white picket fence…snore) but dagnabit, look at the painterly look to this cover. You could see this on a classic cover jacket; it’s so timeless.
Dave’s Honorable Mentions
Uncanny X-Force #2
Dave: I love how muscular yet sexy McGuinness and Hollowell have made Spiral. The circle being formed by the blades juxtaposed with the X in the background pull you in as well. This is a good example of a cover that doesn’t need to do too much yet can captivate the audience.
Brendan: I just love how happy Spiral looks. Far too often she is shown pissed and foreboding. She’s a lady with six arms and lots of shiny things! What more could a gal want in the world?
Carbon Grey, Vol. 2 #3
Dave: I’m not entirely sure what all the imagery on this cover adds up to, but I like every aspect. The gun is masterfully rendered, the blood-tears on our lady in the background are moving and the exploding city is weirdly captivating. This is an epic cover for epic’s sake and I like it!
Brendan: The composition of this cover is perfectly executed. With only a few changes this entire thing could have ended as a giant, confusing mess. I love how your eye is drawn from the explosive bang, through the swept-away city, to girl A and then to girl B. There is a great use of color throughout.
Where we don’t understand, are insulted by or would rather stab our eyes with acid pops than look at these covers for various reasons.
Night of the Living Dead Aftermath #5
Dave: Eww. What gets me is how she’s stroking the spine. Eww.
Brendan: This is one of those Crossed-level monthlies that are dishing out shock gore for the sake of shock gore (is there any other type?). I mean, yeah, good job making something gross, I guess?
Brendan: So, wait. Are those run-of-the-mill metal bars? Doesn’t Aquaman have Superman-level strength? Is he really trapped behind some basic iron bars? They’re only screwed together, too! they aren’t even stick welded! Just break through and continue your day, Art!
Dave: “Next month, witness Aquaman drown because he forgot his slot screwdriver. Find out how long he can hold his breath!”
Journey Into Mystery #649
Dave: I’m not arguing Dekal does some pretty nice work, although those backgrounds are a little dull for my tastes. No, this has entered WTF territory because the entire composition’s purpose is to give us a tasty upskirt shot. It diminishes the character to some extent.
Brendan: I mean, that is barely upskirt. It’s much closer to underbutt, and there ain’t nothing wrong with underbutt. Can we take a moment to acknowledge how grotesquely large Spidey’s hand is? He needs to go see a doctor!
Comics Being Released This Week
This is a cleaned up list via ComicList.com. Comic availability subject to change.
- BOOM! Studios
- Deathmatch #3, $3.99
- Freelancers #4, $3.99
- Peanuts #6, $3.99
- Steed And Mrs Peel #5, $3.99
- Dark Horse
- Amala’s Blade #0, $2.99
- Angel And Faith #19, $2.99
- Answer #2 (Of 4), $3.99
- Criminal Macabre Final Night The 30 Days Of Night Crossover #3 (Of 4), $3.99
- Massive #9, $3.50
- Star Wars Agent Of The Empire Hard Targets #5 (Of 5), $2.99
- Star Wars Dawn Of The Jedi The Prisoner Of Bogan #3 (Of 5), $2.99
- DC COMICS
- All-Star Western #17, $3.99
- Aquaman #17, $2.99
- Arrow #4, $3.99
- Batman Incorporated #8, $2.99
- Batman The Dark Knight #17, $2.99
- Before Watchmen Dr. Manhattan #4 (Of 4), $3.99
- Flash #17, $2.99
- Fury Of Firestorm The Nuclear Man #17, $2.99
- I Vampire #17, $2.99
- Injustice Gods Among Us #2, $3.99
- Joe Kubert Presents #5 (Of 6), $4.99
- Justice League Dark #17, $2.99
- Red Lanterns #17, $2.99
- Savage Hawkman #17, $2.99
- Talon #5, $2.99
- Teen Titans #17, $2.99
- Unwritten #46, $2.99
- Doctor Who #6, $3.99
- Doctor Who Prisoners Of Time #2 (Of 12), $3.99
- Haunted Horror #3, $3.99
- Rocketeer Hollywood Horror #1, $3.99
- Star Trek The Next Generation Hive #4 (Of 4), $3.99
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Secret History Of The Foot Clan #3 (Of 4), $3.99
- Transformers Robots In Disguise #14, $3.99
- Image Comics
- Artifacts #25, $3.99
- Carbon Grey Volume 2 #3 (Of 3), $3.99
- Comeback #4 (Of 5), $3.50
- Five Weapons #1 (Of 5), $3.50
- Hack Slash #24, $3.50
- Legend Of Luther Strode #3 (Of 6), $3.50
- MacGyver Fugitive Gauntlet #5 (Of 5), $3.50
- Prophet #34, $3.99
- Uncanny Skullkickers #1, $3.50
- Witch Doctor Mal Practice #4 (Of 6), $2.99
- MARVEL COMICS
- Avengers Arena #5, $2.99
- Avenging Spider-Man #17, $3.99
- Castle A Calm Before The Storm #3 (Of 5), $3.99
- Deadpool Killustrated #2 (Of 4), $2.99
- FF #4, $2.99
- Gambit #9, $2.99
- Guardians Of The Galaxy #0.1, $3.99
- Hawkeye #8, $2.99
- Journey Into Mystery #649, $2.99
- Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man #11, $2.99
- Punisher War Zone #5 (Of 5), $2.99
- Thunderbolts #5, $2.99
- Ultimate Comics X-Men #23, $3.99
- Uncanny Avengers #4, $3.99
- Uncanny X-Men #2, $3.99
- X-Men Legacy #6, $2.99
- X-Treme X-Men #11, $2.99
- Young Avengers #2, $2.99