Comic Book Preview: 3/27/13 – Thundering Bolts and Dead Babies
25 Mar, 2013
Hickory Dickory Dock,
Comic previews hit like a hooker in Bangkok
Come check the best and worst covers we’ve chosen
For some smack-down, drag-out critical explosions
…Hickory Dickory Dock.
Where we don’t understand, are insulted by or would rather stab our eyes with acid pops than look at these covers for various reasons.
Dave: In what issue did Electra get shrunk down into a midget? Look, I know Game of Thrones has made midgets cool and all but she looks awkward and non-sexy here. Blah!
Brendan: I think the main drag about this cover is they didn’t draw Rulk in a forboding way. Instead, they drew everyone else puny to compensate. Personally I don’t mind the short, tan skinned, raven-haired Electra, but that’s just kinda my thing.
Savage Skullkickers #1
Edwin Huang & Jim Zubkavich
Dave: This is in the WTF section partly because I love the insult it throws at Marvel Comics. I loved the first Savage Wolverine cover this mimics, and this is a perfect example of poking fun at the cover. And yet, it’s not such a bad cover. Maybe more sexual exploitation of the chick at the top right would have made this funnier. It fails to be funny and is more of a ripoff. Meh.
Brendan: If they’re going for comedy then they missed the mark by a mile. If anything I think this is just a blatant homage to a cover that came out a week ago. Either way this is just another cover for me. Move along.
Night of the Living Dead Aftermath
Dave: I interrupt the crude and humorous banter to inform you that Sears.com sells this comic. Need proof? Look here. Weeeeiirrrdddd. Anyhoo, I think what makes this cover absolutely disturbing is the rate at which this baby slams into the ground. Here’s hoping it’s a zombie so it’s not dead. Undead baby is always better than dead baby. Universal truth y’all!
Brendan: …and the award for most disturbing comic cover goes to NOTLD Aftermath. Grats, you guys. I’m not even gonna talk about this cover because its just way too over the top.
Dave: I guess Superman is a sucker for blondes, because he could give two shits about the rest of the folks who are dropping to their deaths. What a douchenozzle.
Brendan: Hey man, Supes has his priorities straight. It can be argued that with his super-speed he is guaranteed to catch everyone in under a minute but, just in case, go for the bitty.
The Legend of Luther Strode #4 (of 6)
Dave: The preview for this issue reads: Luther versus…..Jack the Ripper?! Is that Jack? Killer image here that’s made even more vivid with the materials used. It looks like…chalk? Either way the eyes and scratch marks are uber emphatic.
Brendan: This cover is creep-tastic. Something about the devilish glow of those chalk-white blades really gets to me. The lighting eyes are a sweet touch, too. .
Julian Totino Tedesco
Dave: I love what Tedesco did with the red in this cover. It really pops which makes Elektra look almost unreal, but also as if her clothes were erased and replaced with this eye popping color. Very vivid.
Brendan: The flat red is super eye-catching. I especially love the way the tail wraps around, giving detail throughout. Beyond the red, there is some gorgeous shading and skin tones to witness.
Cover of the Week
Uncanny X-Force #3
Kris Anka, Salvador Larroca
Dave: The green glow on our girl Psylocke, juxtaposed with the red of the background and Bishop help split this cover into two things. The first, our hero in a pose, on edge and ready to strike. The second, our baddie Bishop flipping a lid, disassembling reality as we know it. It’s a cool way to deliver different pieces of information but also draw the viewer’s eye back and forth between Psylocke and Bishop. Plus, Psylocke is in a sick pose!
Comics Being Released This Week
This is a cleaned up list via ComicList.com. Comic availability subject to change.
- BOOM! Studios
- Deathmatch #4, $3.99
- Ice Age The Hidden Treasure (One Shot), $3.99
- Peanuts #7, $3.99
- Dark Horse
- Angel And Faith #20, $2.99
- Answer #3 (Of 4), $3.99
- B.P.R.D. Vampire #1 (Of 5), $3.50
- Criminal Macabre Final Night The 30 Days Of Night Crossover #4 (Of 4), $3.99
- Dragon Age Until We Sleep #1 (Of 3), $3.99
- Massive #10, $3.50
- Mister X Hard Candy (One Shot), $2.99
- Star Wars Dawn Of The Jedi The Prisoner Of Bogan #4 (Of 5), $2.99
- DC COMICS
- All-Star Western #18, $3.99
- Aquaman #18, $2.99
- Arrow #5, $3.99
- Batman Incorporated #9, $2.99
- Batman The Dark Knight #18, $2.99
- Day Of Judgment TP, $14.99
- Flash #18, $2.99
- Fury Of Firestorm The Nuclear Man #18 , $2.99
- I Vampire #18, $2.99
- Injustice Gods Among Us #3, $3.99
- Joe Kubert Presents #6 (Of 6), $4.99
- Justice League Dark #18, $2.99
- Red Lanterns #18, $2.99
- Savage Hawkman #18, $2.99
- Superman #18, $2.99
- Superman Family Adventures #11, $2.99
- Talon #6, $2.99
- Teen Titans #18, $2.99
- Time Warp #1(One Shot), $7.99
- Unwritten #47, $2.99
- Complete Zaucer Of Zilk, $6.99
- Doctor Who #7, $3.99
- Judge Dredd #5, $3.99
- My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic #5, $3.99
- Popeye Classics #8, $3.99
- Star Trek #19, $3.99
- Transformers Robots In Disguise #15, $3.99
- Transfusion #3 (Of 3), $3.99
- Vitriol The Hunter #2 (Of 6), $3.99
- Image Comics
- Clone #5, $2.99
- Dia De Los Muertas #2 (Of 3), $4.99
- East Of West #1, $3.50
- Fatale #13, $3.50
- Five Weapons #2 (Of 5), $3.50
- Hack Slash #25, $3.50
- Legend Of Luther Strode #4 (Of 6), $3.50
- Morning Glories #25, $3.99
- Planetoid #5, $2.99
- Savage Skullkickers #1, $3.50
- Think Tank #6, $3.99
- Witch Doctor Mal Practice #5 (Of 6), $2.99
- MARVEL COMICS
- A+X #6, $3.99
- Age Of Ultron #3 (Of 10), $3.99
- Astonishing X-Men #60, $3.99
- Deadpool Killustrated #3 (Of 4), $2.99
- Fantastic Four #5AU, $3.99
- FF #5, $2.99
- Fury MAX #10, $3.99
- Gambit #10, $2.99
- Guardians Of The Galaxy #1, $3.99
- Journey Into Mystery #650, $2.99
- Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man #12, $2.99
- Morbius The Living Vampire #3, $2.99
- Powers Bureau #3 (resolicited), $3.95
- Scarlet Spider #15, $2.99
- Superior Spider-Man #6AU, $3.99
- Thunderbolts #7, $2.99
- Ultimate Comics Wolverine #2 (Of 4), $3.99
- Uncanny Avengers #5, $3.99
- Uncanny X-Force #3, $3.99
- Wolverine And The X-Men #27, $3.99
- X-Men Legacy #8, $2.99
- Young Avengers #3, $2.99
- Zenescope Entertainment
- Grimm Fairy Tales #83, $2.99
- Grimm Fairy Tales Presents Wonderland #9, $2.99