This week, IDW’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series takes a break from the explosive fallout of their recent story arc to tell a light-hearted Christmas tale. Is it good?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (IDW Publishing)
- Mikey’s got me into the party-planning mode, but I don’t think Leo’s feeling it.
- You gotta love the way Mateus Santolouco draws Pepperoni (the pet baby dinosaur, not the topping…although he draws that great, too).
- I don’t like Casey’s new friends.
- Dang it, Pete…
- You knew they all had to show up.
- April has got the sexy and surprised look down pat.
- “…yer gonna need to contract more crabs.”
- “Nice going, Griswold.”
- I still hate him, but that was pretty sweet/cool.
Is It Good?
I’m normally not a fan of light holiday issues like this one, especially when it doesn’t move the overall plot forward or feature any sort of action. But gosh darn it, when you’ve got Mateus Santolouco drawing the heck out of everything and Tom Waltz dropping some incredible one-liners, how can you not enjoy it at least a little bit?
I will admit that having such a cheery issue after the drama from last month is jarring, but it might serve as good buffer before we dive back into that mess of traumatic awesomeness. I also liked the ending, although it took some of the sting off the well-earned dynamic shift the book just had.
In all honesty, I might not be the best person to rate/review this particular issue. Holiday specials—especially ones that insert themselves into otherwise separate storylines—almost always make me feel like a Grinch. But in spite of my personal bias, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #65 was still able to make my small heart grow two sizes (but not quite three).