Deadpool may not have been nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award, but we at AiPT! are going to pretend it did with a special recipe in honor of the Merc with a Mouth! Who’s hungry for chimichangas? More than any other food, these fried burritos have become associated with Deadpool, yet he doesn’t seem to like them as much as people assume.Fortunately, I do like them. But what’s not to like about a delicious, fried burrito?
So let’s make some Deadpool-worthy chimichangas – complete with sword-sliced avocados – that are tasty enough to change Wade’s mind. If nothing else, it’s an excuse to eat fried food!
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (breasts, thighs or a mix – whatever you like best. You could also use beef or pork instead)
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
(or nix the long list of seasonings and use a packet of taco seasoning instead – it’ll still be delicious)
1 tablespoon adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
1 large onion, peeled, halved, and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can original rotel
Plus any fillings or sauces you like – this is so customizable, but here are some suggestions to get you started:
Monterey jack cheese
Chipotle Ranch Sauce:
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup milk
1 ½ tablespoons ranch seasoning
3 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
Slow cooker or dutch oven
- Stir together seasonings, sliced onion, minced garlic, adobo sauce and rotel in the insert of a slow cooker. Nestle chicken into the mixture. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low, until chicken pulls apart easily (timing will vary depending on your slow cooker – chicken should register between 185 and 200 on an instant read thermometer).
Note: If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can use a dutch oven and cook on the stovetop at low-medium heat, add a cup of water or chicken broth to the seasoning mix, and bring the chicken mixture to a simmer, cover the pot and cook until correct temperature noted above is reached – be sure to give it a stir from time to time.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker to cutting board and allow to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Strain cooking liquid – set aside.
- Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite sized pieces and return to slow cooker.
- Mix the strained onions and tomato pieces into the shredded chicken. Then add enough of the cooking liquid back to chicken to keep moist, but not so much that it’s dripping wet.
- In a large skillet, heat ½ inch of oil to 325 While oil is heating, start assembling your chimichangas.1. Layer fillings in the front ⅓ of your tortilla, leaving enough room on all sides to roll & wrap the chimichanga.
2. Fold in the top and side edges over the filling.
3. Gently roll and place the chimichanga, seam side down, in the hot oil.
- Cook in the oil until golden brown on all sides, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove from oil to paper towel-lined plate to drain some of the excess oil.
- Serve with whatever toppings and sauces you like! My favorite variation is chipotle ranch sauce and diced avocado – a perfect combo.
Chiptole Ranch Sauce
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until completely combined and smooth, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow time to thicken. If you end up making your own chimichangas, let me know how they taste and if you personalized them! Most of all, enjoy!
Any geeky fare you’d like to see featured in a future recipe? Let me know in the comments below or on Twitter @geekwithawhisk.