Eaten frequently by Fry on Futurama, and constantly advertised in the series’ opening credits and background scenes, Bachelor Chow is essentially dude kibble. In this recipe, I’ve made Bachelor Chow into an addictive, sweet and salty snack mix to inhale by the handful. It’s an amped up, over the top riff on Puppy Chow, which is something my friend’s mom used to make back in the ’90s. Nostalgic comfort food at its finest.
Welcome to the world of tomorrow!
1 1/4 cup no sugar added peanut butter
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3 cups powdered sugar
4 cups rice Chex cereal
3 cups plain popped popcorn
1 ½ cups broken up graham cracker pieces
2 cups mini pretzels
1 cup plain roasted peanuts
1 cup mini marshmallows
Large zip top bags
- Spread a couple of large pieces of parchment paper over countertop.
- Put powdered sugar into large plastic bag with a zip.
- Combine cereal, peanuts, popcorn, pretzels and marshmallows in the largest bowl you have (Or you can use 2 bowls, since you’ll need to be able to stir it around a bit).
- Over low heat, melt together the chocolate chips and peanut butter in a saucepan until combined and smooth. Pour over the cereal mixture and use a spatula to stir until everything is well-coated.
- Spoon coated cereal mixture into sugar-filled bag, seal and shake until cereal is coated in powdered sugar. Empty out onto parchment paper to set. (you may need to work in batches to have enough space to shake and get everything sugar covered).
Let me know if you make this and what you think! What are the pieces in the mix you pick out? I’m pretty ruthless about the pretzels and peanuts.
Any geeky fare you’d like to see featured in a future recipe? Let me know in the comments below or on Twitter @geekwithawhisk.