Emmy vs. Bernice. It’s the type of fight that will break your heart no matter who wins.
Harrow County #22 (Dark Horse Comics)
- I gotta admit, Bernice is making some pretty good points here.
- Okay, that demon bird is absolutely terrifying. Definitely on #TeamBernice at this point.
- You know what’s worse than demon birds? Angry demon kids, that’s what.
- Especially angry demon kids who want to destroy everything around them.
- Hmmm…not sure I agree with that course of action. Can’t say I wouldn’t have done the same either, though.
- Oh no 🙁
If you were hoping for some type of supernatural fisticuffs between Emmy and Bernice, then Harrow County #22 will leave you sorely disappointed.
Thankfully, Cullen Bunn keeps the tension running high throughout the issue, culminating in a moment that will have you genuinely conflicted about who is right on how to deal with the haints. The dialogue between the two friends-turned-adversaries (for now) is not only riveting, but makes an incredibly strong case against Emmy, who until recently had always been someone the reader could reliably expect to be on the right side of things. It’s a fascinating plot thread that continues to get better the harder it’s pulled.
Bunn also introduces us to a couple of brand new haints that are legitimately horrifying, thanks in no small part to the artistic talents of Tyler Crook. I’m not sure how someone can make a demonic vulture with a human face look so convincing, but he does it. (Thanks a lot for the hours of sleep I’m going to lose tonight, Mr. Crook).
Add in a shocking/sad cliffhanger ending, and it appears that Harrow County is firmly back in top form. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to make sure my dogs aren’t roaming around outside where a demon bird could snatch them up.