No, it’s not the evil Baron Silas Greenback from Danger Mouse. Prepare for the psychedelic madness of TOAD BARON!
Writer: Sophie Campbell, Bobby Curnow
Artist: Pablo Tunica
Publisher: IDW Publishing
- Alopex and Angel meditate in very different ways.
- Pretty sure that all this frogs watching them walk through the woods is a bit of foreshadowing…
- GOOD LORD! No amount of foreshadowing could have prepared me for that.
- I don’t even want to imagine the indigestion problems this giant toad has.
- Follow the white rabbit < Follow the creepy toad
- Last time my large intestines had a party like this was all you can eat night at Wild Wing Café.
- I’m not sure it’s a good idea to whisper about the bad guy right in front of him.
- In the tradition of Alice, taking food from scary strangers is somehow acceptable.
- Angel and Alopex tripping out of their minds looks a bit like the intro to most cartoons from the 90’s.
To be honest, this type of story isn’t really my thing. That being said, writers Sophie Campbell and Bobby Curnow do a great job establishing just how bizarre and twisted the Toad Baron’s realm is without resorting to David Lynch-esque randomness. There’s still a clear narrative here and it’s pretty good.
The artwork by Pablo Tunica is a bit inconsistent (especially with regards to Angel), but every view we get of Toad Baron’s realm is absolutely stunning.
So yeah…not a big fan of Alice in Wonderland retellings, but I’m digging this one so far. Let’s see how far the toad hole things really go…
…okay, that sounded way grosser than it was supposed to. Just buy the issue and put the next one on your pull list.