Despite requiring a massive amount of exposition, ‘TMNT’ #73 establishes a strong starting point for a potentially fantastic story.
The Trial of Krang begins…sort of. First, the Turtles travel to Dimension X to help the Neutrinos round up some key witnesses across the galaxy–in particular the ones who aren’t likely to cooperate with a subpoena.
Oh yes, ladies and gentlemen, we are embarking upon a galactic legal adventure!
First Read Reactions
- Replace “OVERKILL” with “FAKE NEWS” and Krang sounds a lot like our current president…
- …except with significantly more competent legal counsel on the payroll…
- …and an even more competent assassin.
- Pepperoni continues to be equal parts awesome and adorable.
- Wow. I probably should have expected to see this guy, but his appearance still caught me completely off guard.
- Mikey’s game is surprisingly strong.
- HOLY CRAP!
- Ummm…these folks do realize that a dude just died in front of them, right?
Whew! That was A LOT of exposition to get through.
Seriously, this issue is packed with more prose than a Dickens novel. To writer Tom Waltz’s credit, however, he does manage to sprinkle in some great action scenes to help break up the potential monotony…
…although I have to wonder if artist Cory Smith wanted to kill him after looking at the script. There are a boatload of characters packed into every panel. Their interactions get a bit weighed down at times, but the introduction of a badass new villain (along with the return of a badass fan favorite) are definitely the highlights of the issue.
My only real gripe with the script was how casually everyone reacted to what should have been a shocking and brutal death. Otherwise, the issue’s weaknesses are mostly born out of the fact that Waltz and Smith had to refresh and establish an unbelievable amount of information to get this story going. Now that the task has been completed, I can’t wait to see where they take things next.