After last weeks…uh, interlude…we return for the aftermath/conclusion of the Predators story arc.
First Read Reactions
- Wolverine + symbiote is never a good combination.
- I hate…HATE…Earth-65 Foggy Nelson.
- And yet despite how evil he is, I still can’t help but be a huge fan of Earth-65 Matt Murdock. What a badass.
- Sound. It’s always gotta be sound with these things.
- Spider-Gwen + a cowboy hat could have worked in my opinion.
- Earth-65 Shadowcat has officially won me over.
- In case I haven’t mentioned it before, Earth-65 Matt Murdock is a stone cold badass.
- Please tell me they’re not going to wind this thing up with the power of music conquering over all…
- Oh thank goodness…it’s going to be death and destruction instead.
I should have known better than to doubt Jason Latour.
Just when it seemed like things were going to get wrapped up with an easy/boring bow, the issue kicks into high gear, launching us into a brand new chapter of Spider-Gwen’s life that may end up being the best yet.
Latour continues to be a master of utilizing alternate versions of well-known characters in ways that are actually interesting. Instead of bad parodies or out-of-nowhere characteristics, he draws on well-established traits to craft what is one of the best supporting casts in comics. While the characters do have a tendency to get a little monologue-y at times, it’s so well written that you can usually forgive it–and their actions are still what always drive the narrative forward.
On the art side of things, Robbi Rodriguez once again outdoes himself. Not only are his action sequence brilliantly insane, but his design for a couple of symbiotified characters is even better than I was expecting.
Marvel has been getting even more flack than usual lately for recycling old ideas. Sometimes it’s a pretty fair criticism. Yet somehow, Latour and Rodriguez have somehow been able to take an alternate universe version of a dead character and create one of Marvel’s most exciting, enjoyable, and (most importantly) unpredictable comics.
If Spider-Gwen isn’t on your pull list by now, then you will definitely want to add it before this next story arc kick off.