It’s time for two of IDW’s biggest franchises to crossover again!
Unlike a lot of these type of ‘corporate synergy’ events, though, the last TMNT/Ghostbusters crossover was actually pretty good. Will the sequel follow suit?
First Read Reactions
- Already starting things off with bonus points for a Ghostbusters 2 reference that’s actually good.
- “Was your mother also into exposition?”
- (Hey, don’t get mad at me. That last comment was from Venkman…although I 100% agree with the snarky sentiment).
- It’s nice seeing a demon/spirit who is emotionally well adjusted–even if he is working in service to one who is clearly a psychopath.
- The thought of Donatello and Egon keeping in touch via transdimensional communication makes me smile.
- Poor Donnie. Gets tossed from Dimension X and barely has time to say hello to his old friends from the Columbia/Sony Pictures Dimension.
- Even without the benefit having Bill Murray voice him, Venkman is still hilarious.
- *Sigh* Remember that joke from earlier about exposition?
- “Man, sometimes I hate quantum physics.”
Just like the last TMNT/Ghostbusters series, there is a lot to like here. The artwork by Dan Schoening (assisted by gorgeous coloring work from Luis Delgado) is great. All the characters’ voices are distinct and perfectly in sync with reasonable composites of their various media counterparts. The narrative is well constructed and ties in logically to both franchise’s mythologies.
Unfortunately, the issue dedicates most of its panels to massive amounts of exposition in order to set up the story–so much so that even Venkman finds the need to make an in-story meta joke about it.
To be fair, the tale Burnham and Tom Waltz laid the groundwork for does look like it could be a lot of fun. Hopefully now that the table has been set, we can get things moving in the highly entertaining direction this book went the last time.