The long awaited Symmetra rework is finally available to try out on the Overwatch PTR. Symmetra has officially moved from support to the defense role and possesses the ability to pump out massive damage.
Symmetra has been reworked in the past, but it didn’t really do anything to improve her play time. The hero is seen as a niche choice with a few popular streamers giving her visibility, but otherwise she gets little in the way of serious attention. Symmetra’s play time in Overwatch League and on the pro scene is essentially nonexistent. This rework looks to change that.
Check out the details below on the the changes made to Symmetra’s abilities and her new ultimate, Photon Barrier.
Photon Projector – Primary Fire
- No longer locks onto targets
- Range increased to 10 meters
- Damage ramping (both up and down) now takes 2 seconds per damage level instead of 1 second
- Damage ramp increased from 30/60/120 to 60/120/180
- Now generates ammo instead of spending it when hitting barriers
Photon Projector – Alternative Fire
- No longer pierces targets
- Now explodes on contact
- Projectile speed increased
- Charge up speed increased
- Damage changed to 60 impact / 60 explosive
- Turret is now placed like a projectile instead of being set in place
- Can hold a max of 3 now, down from 6
- Can now deploy a max of 3, down from 6
- Health increased from 1 to 30
- Damage increased
- Amount of slowing effect increased
- Can now place the exit up to 25 meters away from Symmetra
- The entrance will automatically be built in front of Symmetra, rather than at her team’s spawn point
- Lasts 10 seconds
- Health lowered to 300
- More things can teleport through it, such as Junkrat tire and D.Va’s exploding mech
- Entrance can now be destroyed
New Ultimate: Photon Barrier
- Deploys a barrier that is big enough to span and cut through an entire map
- Orientation can be changed by pressing the ultimate button again
- Has 5000 health
As of right now there’s no word on when Symmetra and the new Overwatch patch will arrive. If Blizzard follows their usual pattern, we should expect Symmetra to remain on the PTR for at least three weeks. Along with Symmetra’s rework, there are two new social features: Looking for Group and Endorsements. Needless to say this patch is massive, so I wouldn’t expect it anytime soon.
Fingers crossed that these changes will lead to the community getting to see Symmetra played in Overwatch League and the rest of the competitive scene.