The book may feel too silly/slaptick even for an all-ages book, but it’s still a fun read.
Getting trapped in New York City during an invasion by Ticeratons is bad enough without also getting stuck inside a building…and having to make sure no one sees you.
First Read Reactions
- Hate to criticize right off the bat, but maybe this isn’t the best time to dismiss children when they say they’ve seen monsters nearby.
- Mikey’s got a good point about how many folks know who they are.
- Scooby Gang > Ninja Turtles
- I’m not sure how four trained ninjas can’t manage to leave one multi-story building, but it does make for some good comedy, at least.
- Mikey’s plan may be stupid, but it’s all types of entertaining…
- …and effective, apparently.
Look, I’m all for a light-hearted issue, but this one goes so far away from the tone of the series that it gets a little ridiculous. It’s probably too silly/slapstick even for the Nickelodeon cartoon series. Much as I like seeing Mikey get a win every once in a while, it’s hard to go from the heart wrenching tone of the last arc to a plot with all the subtlety and nuance of a Scooby Doo episode.
That being said, it is still a fun read, particularly when artist Tyler Boss plays with the page layouts to give us some cool and unique perspectives.
Also, the coda at the end (which features a tragic character who we haven’t seen in a very long time) is incredibly touching and well done.